Fruehauf1's Track Day EM1 BuildFirst  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last
Author Post

Fruehauf1

133 posts [100%]
PA
11-18-2008
  Fruehauf1's Track Day EM1 Build« » Reply  Edit

Hey guys,

I am making this build thread to keep track of how my car changes as it becomes built more and more for the track every day. The beginning of this build starts in May of 2014 when I first got the car and over the next few days I will try and catch up to present time and where I am now with the build.

I guess I'll start this thread with some pictures of the car the first day i got it which happened to be my birthday. This is the first time the car saw light in over 2 years.

I was never one for washing a car but my friend Jesse couldn't stand seeing it with 2 years of dust on it so he decided to give it a quick wash. He was also nice enough to offer me the use of his garage so the least I could do is keep my car clean in there.

I guess I should give a little history of this car and myself. The car actually belonged to my cousin's good friend who bought the car in 2000 from the original owner. He owned it from 2000 to about 2011. Over those years the car went through several stages ranging from the Fast and Furious craze with a Body Kit and 18 inch wheels to a clean OEM looking car with a 400 horsepower sleeved LS-VTEC turbo motor. When I started getting into cars this was always one that i admired and wished I could have. The last few years he had the car it pretty much sat in a garage until he sold it to another local kid who only owned it for 6 months until he blew it up. After he blew it up he had another one of my friends rebuild it and shave the bay. In the middle of all this he decided he didn't want it and my friend ended up buying it off of him and it sat in a garage for another 2 years while my friend tried to finish it for himself.

At this time i was driving a 00 white civic EX which is currently my daily driver. When my friend mentioned that he did not have the time or money to finish the Si we worked out a deal and I ended up buying the shell, a built motor, turbo kit, and tons of other parts. This was the first time I was going to be able to build a car that was not my daily driver so there was nothing holding me back from doing whatever I wanted with it.

Besides the fact that this was a dream car of mine back when i was 16 years old it's also an extremely clean car and exactly what I have been looking for since I have been building Hondas. The paint is all original except for the engine bay, it has no rust or body work, and it only had 64K miles on it.

When I first got the car I wasn't sure if i wanted to finish the turbo build that my friend was working on or go in a different direction. I eventually decided to sell almost everything except the shell and start from scratch.

I'll finish this first post with a picture of it sitting in my friends garage when I first started working on it and one of the first big purchases I made.

Modified by Fruehauf1 at 6:24 PM 12/16/2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auFfqnlSEgc

@fruehauf1

Fruehauf1

133 posts [100%]
PA
11-18-2008
 « Re: Fruehauf1's Track Day EM1 Build (Fruehauf1)« » Reply  Edit

I ended up not doing much to the car for the first couple of months because I was waiting to get some of the stuff it came with sold before I bought anything new. Once the built motor finally sold I gave Steve at H-Motors a call and ordered a 97 Spec ITR motor and trans. Although having a 400hp turbo motor would have been fun I had decided that I would rather just have a stock ITR that I could throw in the car and not worry about having any issues. Once I knew that I had 4 weeks until the motor would be here I started working on the car every day. One of the main things that needed to be done was retucking the headlight harness. Although my friend had done this already it wasn't how I wanted it so I spent a lot of hours working on that.

The car had full interior and I had debated on whether I wanted to gut the car or not. After a couple days of going back and forth I finally decided that this wasn't going to be a daily driver and that I would gut the car. I also swapped over to manual windows and locks and got rid of the power mirrors with some block off plates. At this point the only power option left on the car was the sunroof which I will address later on. I also replaced the power steering rack with a manual one.

Here is the motor freshly unwrapped. I have had lots of B-Series motors but this was my first Type R.

While the motor was out I put an ACT 6 puck sprung disc on there and paired it with a HD pressure plate. I also did the timing belt and water pump.

I also decided that i was not going to have heat in the car but I didn't want to just have a hose running through the bay to loop the lines. I ended up using a plug from a B-Series transmission to plug the port in the head and got a 98+ GSR thermostat housing which only has 1 barb coming out of it. I had to heat up the barb with a torch and spin it so the angle was correct to loop up to the intake manifold.

Around this time I had placed a big order with JHP so I got busy installing my Buddy Club seat, Spec 2 exhaust, PCI seat rail, and some other small parts.

At the end of August 2014 I finally had the motor in and it was up and running! This is the first day I pulled the car outside.

After working out a couple of the bugs the car was running great. At this time I was running my old 949 Racing wheels but wasn't set on what wheels I wanted to get for it. I bought a set of 15x6.5 TE37's but by the time they got here from overseas I had already lined up a trade with my friend for some 15 inch Spoon's.

Modified by Fruehauf1 at 8:07 PM 12/16/2015

@fruehauf1

Murgo_EM1

12 posts [100%]
Newport RI
12-14-2015

Car looks great! Any idea on what you are going to run for a harness bar or roll bar?
Logical Madness

Fruehauf1

133 posts [100%]
PA
11-18-2008
 « Re: Fruehauf1's Track Day EM1 Build (Murgo_EM1)« » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by Murgo_EM1 »
Car looks great! Any idea on what you are going to run for a harness bar or roll bar?

Thanks! The roll bar and harness are actually already done. I should be getting to that in the next post or two.

@fruehauf1

Fruehauf1

133 posts [100%]
PA
11-18-2008

Shortly after I got the car up and running I had the chance to take it to my company picnic which is actually a day of bracket racing at Maple Grove Raceway. Although I did not necesarily build the car for drag racing I sure wasn't going to lose out on an opportunity to do some form of racing with it.

In the past I always ran a velocity stack and took out my headlight when I ran at the drag strip. I wanted something a little better looking than that so I picked up an extra OEM passenger headlight and got to cutting. A little dremel work and some paint and it came out great. I even threw on some old drag radials I had in my basement for the race day.

I got paired against my friend Kyle in the first round who has basically the same motor setup as me in an EF. I ran a 13.551 on a 13.55 dial in but still lost because i had a terrible reaction time. The 13.55 @104 was my best time of the day and I think Kyle ran a best of 13.7.

Here is a shot of the engine bay with the velocity stack setup.

@fruehauf1

Smitty_Works
b-boy smitty_roc son!!

1625 posts [100%]
SmithRoc190 BBoy
11-18-2007

very nice milano red civic. the R motor looks perfect in the bay, and i must say nice taste over all.
Big thanks to my sponsor!!!!
| I | C | B | MOTORSPORT

"The Living Dead" http://forums.nwp4life.com/zerothread?id=5447
cause one set of RECAROS is never enough

Fruehauf1

133 posts [100%]
PA
11-18-2008
 « Re: Fruehauf1's Track Day EM1 Build (Smitty_Works)« » Reply  Edit

Ever since the car was running i was having an oil leak coming from somewhere behind the motor. It was hard to tell because it would get on the halfshaft and fling all over the place. At first I was thinking it was an axle seal but after replacing it twice and it still leaking I started thinking it was the oil pan. Since I was going to be pulling the pan I sprung for a new Moroso one and also got a MyHondaHabit oil pan gasket. After all this was done it was still leaking... Turns out it was just the seals on top of the PCV box on the back of the block. I got that all fixed and my leaking issues were solved.

Not too long after my company track day I was asked if I wanted to go to Englishtown for another day of drag racing. Englishtown has always been my favorite track so I was happy to go. I had the exact same setup as I did at Maple Grove but I was able to run a best of 13.1 at 105. I was pretty excited to be that close to 12's on a stock Type R motor and only running 14" drag radials.

A couple weeks later I had a chance to go drag racing again. At this point it was the middle of November and already really cold out. I had no heat but my friend said that I could make a pass on his slicks and a couple of my other friends were all down to go so I figured why not. I made a couple low 13 second passes on the drag radials and after I came back into the pits my friends just started jacking up my car and threw some 23" slicks on it. I have never made a pass on slicks before and knew that 23's were a little too big for my power level so I was pretty nervous that something would break. I launched at 8,000 rpm's because I knew the car would bog. It hooked up and bogged a little bit but I was still able to pull a 1.8 60' and run the 12.9 that I wanted.

That is pretty much everything that happened in 2014. Winter was on it's way and I had a couple of things that I needed to do to the car which I will get to in the next post.

Modified by Fruehauf1 at 9:06 PM 1/13/2016

@fruehauf1

Fruehauf1

133 posts [100%]
PA
11-18-2008

Over the winter one of my main goals was to take some weight out of the car. I weighed the car at the drag strip and it came to 2175 with me in it. That put the car at about 2040 pounds. I still had all the sound deadening and the power sunroof. I had thought about doing a DX roof but I have zero body work experience and didn't like the idea of hacking into my car like that. I found the Narita Dogfight carbon sunroof plug and figured that was the next best option. It took some work to get it to fit perfectly because there isn't really anything to bolt to in the back of the sunroof so it kept sagging. I made a bracket that ran across the roof and bolted to the old sunroof holes. It worked out great and the plug fit nicely.

I also started working on taking out the sound deadening. I used the dry ice method but there were a lot of areas that just didn't seem to come up from the dry ice. I used a heat gun and plastic scraper to get it clean because i didn't want to leave any gouges in the metal. I also cut out some of the rusty jagged metal that hangs down from the dash for the center console. This cleaned up the dash area a lot.

As you can see there is still a lot of sound deadening left in certain areas. I got kind of lazy and didn't get these clean until later.

@fruehauf1

Fruehauf1

133 posts [100%]
PA
11-18-2008

I didn't do much else over the winter because it was just too cold to be working on the car in the garage. Around March my friends and I started talking about finally getting out and doing a real track day on a road course. Although New Jersey Motorsports park is one of the closest "real tracks" around us Englishtown also has a small little road course. This track is mostly known for drifting but they also have open track days about once a month. Myself and my two friends registered for the road course school which was at the end of April. The only changes I made to the car to get ready were the brakes, some ARP wheel studs, and new Advan AD08R tires. I got new rotors all around and some Hawk HP+ pads. I flushed the brake fluid and filled it with some RBF600 and installed Goodridge stainless lines. I also got new wheel bearings while my friend was using the press to put in the front studs. I thought the car was also looking a little boring with the Spoon wheels so I bought some JDM thin moulding to break things up a little bit.

My suspension setup has seen better days.

Here are a couple pics of our first track day.

The day went pretty well. All of our cars made it through the day without any major problems. On my last session I was coming around a left hand turn and I heard some loud clunking coming from the back of the car. I immediately thought something broke and was ready for the car to spin out but it didn't. Once i got to a straight away i took a look behind me and saw my battery rolling around in the spare tire well. Luckily nothing shorted out and I was able to get the car back to the pits. Although the motor ran great all day a couple people told me that it was smoking pretty bad but its 18 years old so I wasn't too worried about it.

It turned out that the J-Hooks that I had holding my battery down ovalized the holes in the sheet metal and were able to slide right out. Luckily my friend Alex has a tig welder and is alway looking for little projects to make. I came up with a little battery tray idea and he welded it up and it came out great.

After our first track day my friends and I agreed that we were all hooked so I went ahead and bought something that I needed to get anyway.

@fruehauf1

Fruehauf1

133 posts [100%]
PA
11-18-2008

I decided I needed to get the rollbar because most tracks don't allow you to have a bucket seat with a stock seat belt and I felt better having one anyway. I went with a 4pt Autopower and a Crow 5pt harness. The install went pretty smoothly and after figuring out exactly how the roll bar wanted to sit in there it fit great.

Even with the black moldings I still felt that the car was a little boring so I made up a tire stencil and chalked the tires. It was really bright at first and I wasn't sure if I liked it but luckily it faded in about a week and I loved the look.

After smoking a bunch at the last track day I though that maybe I was sucking in oil through the PCV box that goes into the intake manifold so I got a catch can and routed the line into there. I bent up a little bracket to mount the catch can on.

Our next track day was in July and it was also about 95 degrees outside. Even with the extreme heat we had a great day without any major issues. After getting more seat time I noticed that my car was understeering pretty badly especially on corner exit. I knew that my Bilstein/Ground Control setup had seen better days so suspension was going to be the next major thing on my list. The car was still smoking but it ran fine so I figured that my valve seals were probably shot and that I would take care of them down the road. I also noticed that my car sounded like it had an exhaust leak on the way home and sure enough the middle hanger on my Spec 2 ripped right off leaving a quarter sized hole in the exhaust. Luckily I was able to bring the exhaust to my friend Alex who was able to tig a patch and weld the bracket back on. It turned out great and I haven't had any issues since.

My friend Kyle with the EF sat out a few sessions so he could take some pictures for a little blog writeup he was doing. Here is the link to the post http://frontstreet.media/2015/...k-day/ and a couple photos he shot from the day.

<br /><br />
Modified by Fruehauf1 at 9:55 AM 12/19/2015

Modified by Fruehauf1 at 10:26 PM 1/22/2016

@fruehauf1

Fruehauf1

133 posts [100%]
PA
11-18-2008

After the 2nd track day I felt that I really needed some new suspension so I bought a set of the new Tein Mono Sports. The spring rates that they come with were 16K front and 9K rear. I felt like this was kind of a weird setup but figured I would try it out before making any changes. Sure enough the car was still understeering like I thought it would so that is something that I still needed to work on.

One of the other things that I bought was a Mishimoto fan shroud and fan. I wasn't having any issues with overheating but I hated the look of the stock fan and wanted something a little nicer. I also bought the OEM Honda AC block off panel to help with cooling. Unfortunately after making these changes my temps actually started to get hot after about 10 minutes into each session. This was an issue that I dealt with for another 2 track days until I figured out that it was the fan shroud causing the issue the whole time. Even though the shroud is supposed to make the fan work more efficiently, I guess when on the track it was just blocking too much air and caused the temps to get hot after a while.

Here is a pic of the shroud which is currently not on the car. I actually ran no fan at all to test and see if this was causing the overheating and sure enough the car ran fine at the track with no fan.

My friend Jesse surprised me for my birthday and took a valve cover that I had shaved years ago and got it powder coated gloss black for me. I never like the fake painted Type R valve cover that the HMO engine came with so I was really excited to throw this on.

I had also bought a Go-Pro so I finally could see some of the mistakes I was making and areas that I needed to work on. Here are a couple laps from the 3rd track day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_nOjHCQCkc

Around this time I also found out that my car was accepted into Wekfest East so I knew I had to start focusing on finishing up my interior which i had been putting off. I have never painted before but a few of my friends did their interior so with their help I bought the materials I was going to need.

In the next post I'll go through all of the prep work I did to the interior to get ready for paint and the outcome as well.

@fruehauf1

Fruehauf1

133 posts [100%]
PA
11-18-2008

With only a couple weeks to get my car ready for Wekfest I started working on my interior almost every day.

I started by getting the seat, roll bar, and dash out of the car.

Then I started working on the dash harness. I previously had all the extra plugs and wires from the accesories I wasn't using anymore just hanging down from the dash. I took all the wires out from the harness and cleaned it up as much as I could. I ended up getting a lot of wire out of it.

Once the dash harness was cleaned up I focused on removing the extra brackets from the interior. I drilled out the rear seat brackets, spare tire holder, and the SRS ECU podium.

Something that I wasn't sure if I wanted to do was cut the deck lid out. I always hated the way they looked in gutted coupes and if I was ever going to cut it out, now was the time. I thought about it for a couple days and finally decided to do it and knew exactly how I was going to cut it. I left all the tubular structural parts and also the sides where the trunk mounts to. After it was done most people didn't even notice that it was cut and even when I mentioned it they said that it looked like it was like that from the factory so I was very happy with the outcome. I don't have any real good pictures of it until after it was painted.

The last thing that needed to be done before paint was removing the rest of the remaining sound deadening. I spent a lot of time with the heat gun and plastic scraper but eventually all of it was removed.

Now the car was all ready to be prepped for paint. We rolled the car out of the garage on a Saturday morning and had the car all scuffed, cleaned, and masked off with plastic by early afternoon.

My friend Mike who has painted before jumped in and started priming. After about 45 minutes the car was all primed and we were just waiting for it to dry.

Unfortunately the primer took longer than we thought to dry. It was starting to get dark and I had to decide whether to wait until the next day to paint or try and do it in the dark. I really wanted to use Sunday to start putting the car back together so we decided we would paint in the dark. Also, the wind died down so hopefully it would help keep some debris out of the paint. My friend Kyle started doing the first coat and when we got to the front I tried my hand at painting for the first time. After a couple minutes I started getting the hang of it and the paint was looking pretty good.

Once we finished using all the paint I had we closed the doors and let it sit overnight.

@fruehauf1

First  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last

» Return to Build threads