|Quote, originally posted by emanuelparedes;1540741 »|
|Sweet baby Jesus, your car looks soooooo damn good. Subscribed!|
|Quote, originally posted by cblock406;1540742 »|
|Great read so far! Sweet nsx!|
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
there's loads to update but just need to sit down and sort through photos
so onto the centre console butchery:
There was a few options I could of done. By a new OEM one and stick with the OEM stereo. Not really my thing.
Buy a cheap aftermarket fibreglass one (I say cheap, they are like $300) however they warp and you have to cut out the hole for the stereo yourself.
Buy an expensive one, which is a direct bolt in, but its like $1000.
So I did the only sensible thing and fix the one I had. The previous owner even had to cut up the stock ashtray to fit the double din unit. So that was scrap. I could replace it, but considering this car would never see ash I didn't really see the point. The 12v socket is integrated into the ash tray though and they do come in useful occasionally so decided I need to retain something to charge my phone etc.
You can also see a little vent in the bottom left of that picture. This is for the aspirator fan, which is part of the air conditioning system. This fan mounts to the ash tray so will need to work out how to retain the fan and get rid of the ashtray. Now considering the average temperature of England is about 40f, air conditioning is not really needed. But for the 2 or 3 days we get of summer, I want it working dammit!
so started by cleaning up what I already had using a JCB .
then introducing some plastic to actually work with, I didn't want to fibreglass the entire thing as it tends to warp unless you use a lot. So some ABS plate was used along with the stereo surround of my Clarion Head unit:
marking up some of the stuff I wanted to fit:
cut out for the stereo and gauge controller:
more holes cut for gauges and filler primed:
the alarm LED needs to be relocated to the centre console (will explain later) and decided to countersink it to make it a bit neater:
now in primer:
mock up with gauges and base coat:
support plate for the gauge controller bent up and in primer:
with the 12v USB ports and 1 music usb port:
fitted the USB ports:
and fitted, this is finished in black texture coat. The stock console is painted in a metallic bronze which I didn't particularly like. I think if I painted it the OEM colour it would look too "aftermarket" if you get me? I think the black texture coat sort of dums down the fact I stuck a load of gauges in it
the keen eyed amongst you will see the blue light on the USB ports, the rest of the console gauges are green, so out it came...
I also put on an OEM Honda connector, I can connect it to the stock 12v wiring without having to cut anything up, here is a picture:
you have to be really careful before you decide to cut anything on the car as finding a replacement is not only a nightmare, but tends to cost a huge amount of money :S
wrapped all the edges in anti rattle foam:
and all together:
now all this looks simple in text, the reality however is that is took an insane amount of hours to complete. I stopped counting at 20
I chopped and changed the head unit about, that's why its different in pictures. I had to make an adjustable bracket up to mount the headunit, that's why it looks a little "sunken" in the photos as its not in its final position yet.