hkz286

31 posts [100%]
12-18-2016
 « « » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by BabyTypeR »
Lovely Updates man!! cant wait to see more on this love the custom Center piece

thanks bud, yeah it came out quite nice

Quote, originally posted by artofmotiongarage »
This is a unique build thread! I love your sense of humor and particularly the line about the steering wheel looking at home in a Harlequin Golf! That is a deep reference in a Honda forum!

lol i was wondering if anyone would get that reference

Quote, originally posted by 2fast4u831 »
Very nice man!!

thanks man, means a lot

Quote, originally posted by mykeee »
Nice man that came out really good. I was skeptical at first, but very good execution!

In all honesty, so was I. However it was pretty gross to start with so I figured I couldnt make it any worse.

Here was a shot taken shortly after the above work was done at a cars and coffee meet

Moving on I wanted to fit a few more gauges and without the real estate available i had to come up with something.

Most people tend the fit the optional sat nav pod, however its a bit big and cumbersome and doesnt really flow well with the dash:

There are a few japanese companies that produce gauge pods but it replaces your centre vents and are expensive when you factor in shipping, import duty, tax etc however if i lived in japan i would just buy one as they are relative cheap for what you get.

so i decided to make one.

This is what i started with, because the nsx dash is so flat, this lines up quite well.

However there are a few features that need changing. Mostly the duck bill type cover on the top.

bleugh.

That's better, all smooth and radiused.

Also, as with the centre console, i wanted to flush mount the gauges as i think it looks a bit nicer.

In order to do this i needed to thicknen up the front face of the gauge mount.

made up a few of these:

you see what im getting at:

and fitted:

details are somewhat sketch after this for some reason, maybe i forgot to bring my camera? anyways it ended up like this:

Right before you say it, i know the wire coming out the side is not ideal. But ill be damned if I'm going to drill a hole in my dash just for some aftermarket gauges. Its run out of site after the dash so there is only an inch or so showing, plus its installed with a grommet and techflex so it looks neat. Everything's a compromise right?

and here they are starting up

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/a...s.mp4

and some interior shots with the new wheel etc

hkz286

31 posts [100%]
12-18-2016
 « « » Reply  Edit

cheers bud

yeah lol thought it would attract less attention with the title. Most non Honda people wouldn't bother to look :D

anyways, a few details i sort of glossed over on the steering wheel.

like i said i replaced the Nardi with my new Personal Grinta steering wheel

I also had to replace the works bell boss with the shorter version (still works bell) because i also wanted to fit my NRG snap off boss.

I wanted to do something different with the fasteners, so i used some special aircraft fasteners (not strictly in the right application) that are made from titanium and have a flush front:

looks different, especially now they have been heat anodised

.J.
OG DA status.......nuff' said

2349 posts [100%]
Orange Ca
9-13-2005
 « Re: (hkz286)« » Reply  Edit

What a great read!
Thanks for the entertainment and I think, just so my post gives you something back, I have to ask why you didn't do the flush mount hardware in black if you bothered to anodize? I love the concept of something totally random that is completely hidden from plain site but with them being silver I think I'd stare at them as opposed to give you that perfect functional look of being almost invisible in a typical finish for the part.

Also, did you consider wrapping the center work in vinyl or even fabric of some kind? I think it's great what you were able to produce using what I assume was nothing but rattle-canned finishes but I think wrapped finishes provide just the right amount of durability with cords and finger nails always around the console area.

Thanks again for the giggles, I'll be checking in often!

J.

Grey Market - I C B Motorsports: Supported

Metrospeed and IC: Family

Instagram: jharadon

hkz286

31 posts [100%]
12-18-2016
 « Re: (.J.)« » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by .J. »
What a great read!
Thanks for the entertainment and I think, just so my post gives you something back, I have to ask why you didn't do the flush mount hardware in black if you bothered to anodize? I love the concept of something totally random that is completely hidden from plain site but with them being silver I think I'd stare at them as opposed to give you that perfect functional look of being almost invisible in a typical finish for the part.

Also, did you consider wrapping the center work in vinyl or even fabric of some kind? I think it's great what you were able to produce using what I assume was nothing but rattle-canned finishes but I think wrapped finishes provide just the right amount of durability with cords and finger nails always around the console area.

Thanks again for the giggles, I'll be checking in often!

J.

thanks bud, it means a lot to know someone is enjoying my inane ramblings

ermm because in all honesty, I'm a bit of a chav and I like the pretty rainbow colours of anodised titanium when I say "anodised", i mean I took a bunch of 9 volt batteries and some coke to it.

Black would of been nice but i like that it draws the eye and leaves you wondering what the hell is holding the steering wheel on

I prefer as close to an OEM look when it comes to the centre console. That's why I did the textured satin black finish. I think it offsets the fact that its clearly "aftermarket" work and any sort of semi-flamboyant covering would create a look that's a bit "look at me", which is not what I wanted for this particular piece of the car

the photographs don't really do the look justice, its a real satin finish and no where near as shiny as it looks at here. If i were to cover it, it would have to be black leather to match the rest of the dash, however its really flimsy plastic, so I'm not 100% sure it would be possible to do it neatly

i could be full of shit on all the above points, but it explains my thought process anyways

.J.
OG DA status.......nuff' said

2349 posts [100%]
Orange Ca
9-13-2005

hkz,
Points understood and taken! Let me know if you come across any more of those fasteners or if you can point me in the direction of someone that sells them. I'd love a set for a project I've got coming up and I do love the "WTF" aspect of them .

Great work and keep the updates coming ,

J.

Grey Market - I C B Motorsports: Supported

Metrospeed and IC: Family

Instagram: jharadon

artofmotiongarage

613 posts [100%]
Vermont
12-10-2010

How do you tighten this fasteners? Maybe I'm missing something obvious?
Build: 2001 Acura Integra LS Turbo
Instagram: artofmotiongarage
Closure to my old EK: The Last Hoorah

hkz286

31 posts [100%]
12-18-2016

Quote, originally posted by .J. »
hkz,
Points understood and taken! Let me know if you come across any more of those fasteners or if you can point me in the direction of someone that sells them. I'd love a set for a project I've got coming up and I do love the "WTF" aspect of them .

Great work and keep the updates coming ,

J.

i do have a few to hand but they not be suitable and not in the usa so would require international shipping

How do you tighten this fasteners? Maybe I'm missing something obvious?

its a pain in the ass, that's how but that's the reaction i was going for with them

artofmotiongarage

613 posts [100%]
Vermont
12-10-2010

It will remain a mystery!! I like that! I really appreciate your custom console work. very satisfying to complete something like that I'm sure!

hkz286

31 posts [100%]
12-18-2016
 « Re: (artofmotiongarage)« » Reply  Edit

It will remain a mystery!! I like that! I really appreciate your custom console work. very satisfying to complete something like that I'm sure!

yeah probably ermm i don't know about anyone else but something like this, that you stare at for hours on end, think about for probably twice that, when its done, you sort of have already become accustomed to it and already know sort of what its going to look like. It kinda makes the end result a bit of a anti-climax. Like i said it might just be me but stare at anything long enough and it tends to lose is visual impact

The next on the list occurred mostly through happenstance. I was looking after an industrial carpet cleaner (as you do) and decided to give the shag a quick clean.....

for some reason all the 90's Japanese cars I've imported have come with shag pile floor mats

weapon of choice:

and this is what came off the floor mats....GAAARosss!

so having been suitably disgusted with the floor mats, i figured whilst i have it, i may as well do the rest of the carpets, so out came the seats:

and the results :S:

whilst the carpets were drying, I thought i would do some re-greasing of the seat mechanism's to make them all smooth and quiet:

when that was done, thought i would take the carpets up and give the floors a good clean and see what i could find:
ewwwwww

and all clean :

All the buried TREASHAA!

This included 13 yen, so in the spirit of the former tv series House, I named the car "13".

and found mismatching seat bolts, so ordered some new from honda and in they went:

hkz286

31 posts [100%]
12-18-2016

as some of you may have noticed i am rocking a silver looking gearknob type thing. Well I've had the gearknob for a few years and it started to look a bit worse for wear.

its a Spoon titanium gearknob (can you tell i have a penchant for titanium), weighs basically nothing and used to look quite pretty.

heres what i started with:

and after some polishing and some heat anodising:

nearly as good as new :D

and more titanium news.

I was looking around for titanium wheels nuts and was stumbling across a problem. I could buy Porsche, ferrari etc wheels nuts which i would trust, but come with a price tag to match ($1000 plus)

or i could buy aftermarket wheel nuts ($400 ish), but that poses its own set of problems. When you buy material, whether its steel, aluminium, etc you need to know that the specific alloy that your buying (6061, 6082, s275 etc) is what it should be. So when you buy raw material, your issued with whats called a material certificate. This basically is like a receipt, stating the content of the alloy that you are buying. Problem is that in some countries, you can buy the material, have the certificate, and its still not what its supposed to be.

So bearing in mind that wheel nuts are sort of important, and that I would be getting some for my brother as well, I took it upon myself to make some. That way I could pick a material, pick a supplier I trust and then get a machinist I trust to carry out the work.

Now you would think that its fairly simple. Buy some hex bar, chop it up, tap it, bobs your mothers brother

Nope. As labour/machines have become cheaper, hex bar has some what fell out of favour (at least in the more exotic materials). So that means i have to start with some bar and then get it machined completely.

test piece:

steel one for comparison:

Well, a butt load of cash later, some really knackered machine tool, and few test pieces, we have these:

the shiny ones are mine, the matt ones are my brothers (different thread pitch)

add some anodising:

now as you can see, the weight savings in isolation are minimal. However, what you have to understand is that most of what i do is an exercise in "why not". Mostly just to see if i can or if its possible.

I ended up with the quality and grade of titanium that is used for the OEM market at a fraction of the price.

Was it worth it financially for weight savings? probably not but its kinda badass none the less

skip
Spoon me please

4812 posts [100%]
Rainy WA
12-10-2008
 « « » Reply  Edit

Great attention to detail. The Spoon knob came out amazing! In for more, followed and subscribed

Milano red dc4 build - 2017 comeback

Spoon // Desmond // Recaro // ASC Metal Fab // KoyoRad // Innovative // ICB

Super Street Rookie of the Year - 2012

Instagram : @coopakaskip

artofmotiongarage

613 posts [100%]
Vermont
12-10-2010
 « Re: (skip)« » Reply  Edit

You know your way around metal! This is awesome. Making your own lugnuts is probably one of the most unique mods I have seen in any Honda build thread! Very cool man!

First  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last

» Return to Build threads