mportedcivicsi

377 posts [100%]
Carrollton VA
7-5-2011
 « « » Reply  Edit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkKrpjiVx88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVP30O4gVrs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeOz-Voax64

As mentioned a little back, I picked up a 2007 Tundra that will be the tow pig, after I buy a trailer. But it also serves as my daily. Well, in VA we have an annual "safety" inspection, basically an additional annual tax we have to hassle through. Its not that its much a big deal, $16 a year to have a shop do a quick look over and slap a sticker on the window saying its safe. Soooo many ways around it that its basically a joke. But the Tundra had a sticker placed in April when the little lot picked it up from auction. I bought it in the middle of July. Other than a couple test drives, it had no mileage on it from when they picked it up. That said, it should have been in good shape. Of course I did a quick look around and such when buying, but nothing terribly detailed and in depth. I did crawl under it and all of that, but you know what I mean. Anyway, the front brakes failed. Not in a way that caused possible harm to anyone, however, that much truck not having solid brakes is not good. Left front basically fell apart and the caliper was missing parts. Right front was in better shape, but still not good. The lot deferred to the inspector because, "they aren't mechanics" and yeah. The other part of this, every lug nut was a lock nut. Basically a "tuner" type lug nut...but no key to be found. And while I will agree that wheel lock keys to get left in a mechanics cart/box on occasion, I'm going to say they didn't even bother to try to pull the wheels. Had they, the lot would have gotten a rejection on the inspection until the brake were address. So, about$700 later...still waiting for more parts...my front brakes will be fresh. Centric e-coated rotors, Hawk LTS pads and StopTech OEM 4pot (original equipment) calipers powder coated red...actually cheaper than buying raw finished from O'Riley's. And I'm currently due to have two new hard lines arrive today from Toyota. Unlike the Civic, it isn't a soft line all the way to the caliper. These are soft to the knuckle and the bracket converts the line to a short hard line that connects to the caliper. One was in bad shape and actually broke when I went to remove it, with a proper brake line wrench. So I'm replacing both sides for good measure. So, after a little over a week, the brakes should be finished up here soon. And I've taken plenty of photos to file a complaint against the dealer, shop and mechanic with the VSP, who oversees the inspection process.

A couple pics...

And back to the Civic. As mentioned, I was able to get good feedback from the car after the track day. One problem, that at the time, we were relating to fuel issues in the tune, was what seemed to be a miss at VTEC crossover. After the track day, which was really a great day and without any issues that didn't provide needed feedback, I discussed with some people about the VTEC problem. It was decided that the was more than likely an oil pressure problem and causing the crossover to act up from that loss. And after going back and looking at the video, which you can hear the miss, especially in the rear facing camera by the exhaust, it was mostly in and coming out of a turn, when the oil would have been really out of shape. So, I realized it was now a top priority to get the Spoon baffled pan in place that has been sitting around a while. And as you will see below, a nice sliver of HondaBond was found up in the pick-up against the screen. So I think this will help a good bit...haha. I didn't get near the work done that I wanted on Friday, but I needed to get some stuff shipped to buyers, but I did get the pan swapped and the car back on the ground to allow the wife to get in the garage after work. More to follow as I continue to work on the Si. For now, I'm just focused on being ready for the Dragon meet in Oct, and for ITR Expo a week after.

Well, yesterday Toyota called and said my brake lines were in. I finished up some work and left early as I wanted to get the truck finished and back on the road. My father in law grabbed them in route to my house as its much more convenient for him due to location. We got the truck in the air and the wheels off, and yeah...the lines that Toyota swore were correct, were just not right. They were the lines that go above the rubber line. Where our cars have the hard line that enters the wheel well directly from the prop valve, these are sectioned a little more. Bigger vehicle, so it makes sense. But what they sold me were the upper ends. The line that connects to the brake module stops at the wheel well and enters a 90* fitting. Another hard line is connected and meets the bracket, similar to that on our car, where the rubber line fits and has a retention clip to hold it. The rubber line goes down and hits a bracket on the knuckle arm, similar to our cars, but at this point transitions back to a hard line that plumbs into the back of the caliper. I needed that last line that hits the caliper...and clearly stated this numerous times. So after a phone conversation with a parts guy, and suggesting he speak with the techs, we decided we had the right part numbers. I did my own research and came to the same conclusion on part numbers, based on the same parts diagrams.

But, being that I was home and was again at a full stop on the Tundra, I worked on the Si...

A buddy picked up the Defi ZD Advance monitor system at UpGarage in Japan for me. I basically got the Sport Club package, less the oil pressure and water temp sensors. But I ordered those from RHD Japan...so I thought. It seems I mistakenly, and verified my mistake on my account with them, ordered the fuel pressure, not the oil pressure kit. So, my mistake and they are in Japan...I'll just run it anyway...haha. Ordered the oil pressure kit last night...not overnight from Japan

Sandwich plate in for oil monitoring...

Dump the coolant!

Chop the Spoon!!!

And I was not please to see that the Mishimoto radiator drain plug magnet had some how broken. Upside, its magnetic...all parts accounted for...

Showcar problems...

Modified by mportedcivicsi at 9:22 AM 12/28/2016

mportedcivicsi

377 posts [100%]
Carrollton VA
7-5-2011
 « « » Reply  Edit

Well, things have been moving along. But with anything, have gotten a bit out of hand...haha. I decided to take on more than I probably should have, so the pressure is really on to get the car back together.

First, the Tundra is back on the road with fresh stopping power up front.

I've had my NT03's for sale for a while now, but had never even fit them to the car. There is a lot of brake space with these...with NO spacer! 949's I'm running 5mm to clear the knuckle arm...

The NT03 I can get my finger between the wheel and caliper and move it around.

949 with 5mm I cant get my full finger between the wheel and caliper.

For the short term, I've evicted the wife from the garage so I do not have to stress with the up and down and pushing the car around. So up it goes!

So I purchased a RyWire tuck, non disconnect, harness back when I was doing my swap. I got it from an EM1Crew member to help clean up the bay, but only as a temp solution. I really wanted to just use my OEM, but cleaned up and redone. I didn't have time back then, so that's why I did what I did. 3.5 years later, that still hasn't happened. So, I said screw it and pulled the RyWire off and put my OEM back on the car. I'll be removing the engine in the winter to delete the PCV system and install a freeze plug in the oil hole. At that time, I'll address the harness.

And I got the sensor cables sorted and then loomed together from the point that 3 of them meet. The fourth follows its own path until it enters the car.

And because its an Si harness with an ITR engine, I had to change the connector and extend it for the IAT...

Spoon heat barrier tape added to the Spoon pan.

New VC gasket, head inspection and I'm going to test the DownStar hardware out...

Yes, I still have the ground...on the back of the head now.

Fuel line wrapped with the same wrap used on the AC and PS lines...

And while I was over here, DownStar mount hardware. The rest will go in with the engine job over the winter.

Koyo will be doing the cooling now...

And I jumped out back to start the F7 LCA swap. I had the standard F7's on the car, since 2009. And while they were off last year, they were fine. But...

No worries though, lifetime warranty. I've beat the crap out of them for a while, so I cannot complain. Especially with the lifetime replacement warranty. So they will be fresh when I sell them.

Spherical in on the left side of the car...

Not pictured, the K-Tuned (1st gen) shifter has been removed and a Fastline is now in its place.

I took three days off last week to try and finish up. I'm nearly there, but will be finished this week!

Not many photos, but I got the interior wrapped up, less a new cabin filter that no one stocks, arrives today from Amazon. And then the plastics around to close up final. KoyoRad is in and the system is flushed from green to clear to now Honda blue. I had a CEL for the VTEC oil pressure sensor, which I do not have on a JDM engine. I guess the RyWire harness accounts for this and jumps it. I jumped the connector and the CEL went out. So for now, its jumped, but I'll have it turned off at tune. Basically the car is good to go. I just need to get that filter in place and close the interior and then do a quick bolt check. Bumper on, wheels on and ground. Calling this morning to try and schedule the new tune on S300 for Friday.

I'll be using the EL upper console with my US spec lower and 96-98 cup holders. A delete plate is in place now as I've removed the single DIN unit and custom screen in favor of a double DIN. The EL upper required a bit of a trim to fit with the US spec lower...

Filter has seen better days...haha...

Flush and burp.

The lower console will be put in place, but this gives a bit of an idea of the FastLine shifter. Most a familiar with the K-Tuned B/D shifter (gen 1)

Well, updates!

Car was starting to come together last week!

Fired up and started getting settings put into the Defi...

It was ready to roll for Friday morning!

After work we got it strapped down on the rollers!

One of the pulls after getting the base set in. The car was on an old S200 P28 that we just wrote Crome on. It was becoming more and more unreliable. As seen back a few pages, I bought S300 v3. So it was a blank ECU that we had to get some base set in and get it ready for the hard pulls to ensure everything was good to go for my use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXJto_NYyB0

And I needed to adjust the Fastline as my initial setting was going knuckle into the fan controls. I guess I should have cycled it before going off to drive...haha...

Original set...

Adjusted...

And baby girl approved.

mportedcivicsi

377 posts [100%]
Carrollton VA
7-5-2011
 « « » Reply  Edit

And a new intake just because I got a deal on it. It'll go in after the winter maintenance.

And not all ITR Expo prep is EM1 related, tow mirrors for the Tundra...

Well, after spending nearly the last two and a half weeks traveling, I'm home and ready to update!

Attack the Dragon IX was Oct 8th. Why weren't you there?
Rather than load all the images, I've selected a variety for you to see. Credit to photographers as marked or stated...

Photos by one of our event sponsors, Killboy.com. He provides individual shots for us as well at drone coverage for our group photo.

Rob photobombing...lol...

These are from a little shoot after the event by one of our event sponsors, Killboy.com.

Two of the three of our event staff. The third had a clutch failure, again, suck it CM, and didn't make it for a full pass...

Chester's (DeathLens) photos...

And ITR Expo 16. What a great event and great group of people. VIR was amazing. Car was top notch. Its a whole new car with this new tune and S300. Very much looking forward to next season.

And a very awesome friend lent me his enclosed trailer to tow to the track, just in case...and even his truck since mine went into the shop and wasn't ready in time.

Beautiful morning of day 2!

Legit DC5 R

I learned that Hawk HP+ weren't the right pad for me. My instructor tossed me a set of used, but plenty of life, Hawk DTC-60 race pads. Much better. Already purchased a set for when the time comes.

Went 2 wheels off on the left, rear hooked and I slid across the track and went 4 wheels off and was a couple of feet from going nose first into the tire wall. I'd say I made out well on minimal damage. And of course it was on my staff check for my solo sign off...haha. But I still got signed off. Knowing what happened and how to deal with it proves you have learned what you've been taught. And going off shows you ain't sissy driving and that you're trying to improve. I'll bang that out this winter. Pushed up in the door a little, but I stepped on it and it clears the door fine now. Splitter brackets need a little pounding too.

Two days at VIR were less harsh on my tires than one at NCCAR...

Event special on driving shoes? Yeah, lemme get dem...haha

And again to the awesome surface at VIR, everywhere makes my splitter rough and nasty where it makes contact with the ground. VIR, its all smooth like its been sanded with 3,000 grit. Guess I need splitter brackets to hold it up some...haha.

mportedcivicsi

377 posts [100%]
Carrollton VA
7-5-2011
 « « » Reply  Edit

Videos. Finally a break in work to slack!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQOrXizn0rI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzh6QdoAVK0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJGVeyqzXqQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MyA6mphb2g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDkT9GpBLCQ

And that's that. Engine is coming out on Friday to do some things over the winter. Slow progress, but it'll get done and ready for lapping next year

Modified by mportedcivicsi at 9:26 AM 12/28/2016

Smitty_Works
b-boy smitty_roc son!!

1632 posts [100%]
SmithRoc190 BBoy
11-18-2007
 « Re: (mportedcivicsi)« » Reply  Edit

i love the build and respect all the hard work you put into it. so bigg thumbs up man

off topic, but whats the specs on that work bench you built? i need to make one for my garage.

Big thanks to my sponsor!!!!
| I | C | B | MOTORSPORT

"The Living Dead" http://forums.nwp4life.com/zerothread?id=5447
cause one set of RECAROS is never enough

mportedcivicsi

377 posts [100%]
Carrollton VA
7-5-2011
 « Re: (Smitty_Works)« » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by Smitty_Works »
i love the build and respect all the hard work you put into it. so bigg thumbs up man

off topic, but whats the specs on that work bench you built? i need to make one for my garage.

Thank you sir!

to the work bench, I'd have to measure it out again for exacts, but its 3/4in ply board top with 2x4 framing. And I used 4x4's for the legs. And its anchored to the wall by screws into the studs of the wall.

mportedcivicsi

377 posts [100%]
Carrollton VA
7-5-2011
 « « » Reply  Edit

Its been slow going with family and the holidays, but now I've got the engine out and I'm ready to do what I've got on plan.

Little Christmas goodies

VIR...

NCCAR...

Tail of the Dragon...

AIM Solo :D

And with the car, I ordered QuickLatch hardware for the bumper at the fender. No more screws in the fender.

Parts, not overnight, from Japan...

Car is up, and the work has started.

And, bye bye Top1 diffuser...

Smitty_Works
b-boy smitty_roc son!!

1632 posts [100%]
SmithRoc190 BBoy
11-18-2007

Quote, originally posted by mportedcivicsi »

Thank you sir!

to the work bench, I'd have to measure it out again for exacts, but its 3/4in ply board top with 2x4 framing. And I used 4x4's for the legs. And its anchored to the wall by screws into the studs of the wall.

thats good enough for me. i can get a good idea of how it goes from there. thanks.

| I | C | B | MOTORSPORT

mportedcivicsi

377 posts [100%]
Carrollton VA
7-5-2011
 « Re: (Smitty_Works)« » Reply  Edit

No problem. Specifics are detailed to your needs anyway But its pretty easy. Box framed with supports equally spaced.

kuro_ej6

174 posts [100%]
B.F.E. Tx
9-28-2011

That photobomb... Looking good brother.

Smitty_Works, as for workbenches, I built #3 on this list and it's working out great. I've done a few mods to mine to suit my needs, but it's a good starting point.

https://www.thebalance.com/fre...57147

[EM1 CREW] | JDMCC | Kids these days...  

Do1313R
X Factor

35520 posts [100%]
TWU, CA 562
3-31-2008
 « Re: (kuro_ej6)« » Reply  Edit

That Defi ZA is dope... Did it come with all sensors?
TWU... Cali Luv... Nastie garage...

Smitty_Works
b-boy smitty_roc son!!

1632 posts [100%]
SmithRoc190 BBoy
11-18-2007
 « Re: (kuro_ej6)« » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by kuro_ej6 »
That photobomb... Looking good brother.

Smitty_Works, as for workbenches, I built #3 on this list and it's working out great. I've done a few mods to mine to suit my needs, but it's a good starting point.

https://www.thebalance.com/fre...57147

thanks for the heads up as well. i appreciate well rounded enthusiasts who can build cars and do carpentry and other skills.

| I | C | B | MOTORSPORT

First  < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last

» Return to Build threads