4th gen civic hatch build, Access bodykit

Started on my last MR5 face but it’s not going to be fun at all. 5 layers of paint on it, so I’m gonna try some paint stripper and hope it helps a bit. Or alot :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Got some more bumper repair kits this week too so saterday I can continue with that.

3 Likes

Yesterday I continued with the repairwork on my Access bodykit. Pretty time consuming job since I have to recreate the pieces that are missing. The rear Access piece was pretty straight forward, had to cut a piece of plastic to fill up the space and then attach it to both side. Downside about this repair kit is that it just has a 3,5 minute life when it’s mixed so you have to work pretty quick.

Don’t mind the bumper, my JDM one will be used to mount the Access piece on. This was just to lay the piece down so it would be the correct shape when I fixed it.

Also did some more fixes and the front and rear bumper piece, the front one is missing a pretty big piece in the grill area that I will need to recreate, I already made a first piece that I can use next time as a base to work on.

Also did some more work on my license plate holder I’m making now that the bumper piece was repaired. I want to integrate my license plate lights into it.

Radio and gauges in place.

3 Likes

Remember that last MR5 face ? I put a load of paint stripper on it and wrapped it in tinfoil and left it for a couple of days.

Scraped off most of the paint, just a few places that are a bit stubborn so they will get another session. But you can see how thick the paint was when the lettering isn’t showing.

2 Likes

No major progress today, sanding takes time.

But, finally getting to a point where I can see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Just the repaired section to work on and this rear Access piece is ready for some expoyprimer and then it can be set aside while I work on the other stuff.

7 Likes

love to see the work man! good stuff

1 Like

Thx man, back at the warehouse in the morning so hope I can get some stuff done. Only thing I’m not looking forward too are the freezing temps again. Wish it would be alot warmer so I can work on the bodywork again.

Yesterday I worked on the Access pieces again.

Rear piece is about 95% ready, just need to do some more shaping and sanding on the repaired section over the license plate. Not happy with the form just yet.

Front piece is going well, needs some more adding on but I can only do that section when the piece is of the bumper. Sanded down the repaired section and put some bumper filler where needed.

Gonna put a led in as license plate light, oem lights are f*cked anyways, but needed to make a bracket to put the light in. Had a piece of sheet steel left so bent it, made a couple of holes so I can mount it to the oem tabs in the bumper.

Just need to cut out the section to put the light in and make a wireharness to fit it.

5 Likes

Been a while since I last updated here but to be honest not a whole lot has been done. Been working alot so not much time to really spend on the cars.

Managed to get a few hours in today, not that much to report because most of my time was spend sanding :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: got the passenger rear quarter a bit more in shape. And worked on my front Access piece too.

Did spend a few hours here and there at home sanding my MR5’s too. Still have more to do on them but I’m working on my 18 inch Advan Sa3’s for my daily sportcross too so sometimes I’m sick and tired of sanding.

Also picked up my set of Carving Lover Soul’s today.

5 Likes

Picked up my new rear bumper support today, so happy you can still get these new at the dealership. I have 2 but those are more of a wave then a straight piece.

Hope I can get some time in tomorrow, got to help my buddy out first with a customer car.

2 Likes

Not much real progress to show from saterday, spend most of the day helping out my buddy.

But did get the wavy rear bumper support out of the jdm bumper after a bit of a fight with the rusted out bolts holding them together.

As you can see the new support will be alot better. Added a picture of the part number if anybody is interested in getting a new one too.

And tested out my new toy also. Works great, just need to buy some more batteries because this is my 3rd tool that works on them but only have 2 batteries for the moment.

And did a roadtrip yesterday, picked up another set of wheels for the sportcross. Not sure if I’m keeping them but the price was to good not to go get them. A set of Nissan Z31 turbo wheels.

4 Likes

Yesterday did a bit of everything, mostly sanding though. But also got my licenseplate light in place, just need to modify the harness to fit.

Put my front bumper on the car to see of my fog light brackets fit, but they don’t. So I will have a look to see if I can find some but I’ll probably have to make some.

Tested out my valve cover but that will need some color, not happy with how it looks in the engine bay right now.

There are some more oem parts on the way and today I’ll continue with my Mugen wheels here at home.

Oh, and I’ve got a question too. If I remove my valve cover ground and replace it with a ground strap like this will it be enough ? Gonna have another ground on the gearbox side aswel but hate the look of the valve cover ground.

3 Likes

Recieved my seatbelt arms this week. Makes it way easier to grab the seatbelt when you have bucket seats.

3 Likes

Yesterday had after a fight with a broken bolt but managed to put the rear trimpiece on the car.
Put my jdm bumper on my new bumper support and put those on too.

Sanded down the front Access bumperpiece and put some primer on it, this will help me find the spots I still need to fix.

And offcourse I continued on my rear passengers quarterpanel, hope to get that ready next weekend so I can put some primer on.

3 Likes

Didn’t have much time to spend on the car yesterday, had to help my buddy out. Did recieve something to help me out and check my work.

Not perfect yet but getting there :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Finally had time to put in some real hours on the civic.

Rear quarters are starting to look decent, still have refining to do in some places. And the lower half of the quarters too but those are way better.

Sanded down the bondo on the front Access piece, that’s about 80% to my liking right now.

And pulled out my driver door and epoxyprimered the outside. Gonna try and do other door next week along with the hood.

4 Likes

Turning out great!
Can’t wait to see it on the road :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Same here man, I’m glad I’m starting to see a finish line even though it’s still ways to go.

2 Likes

Lost my motivation a bit to work on the civic in the last weeks. But got myself in gear today to start prepping the insides of the doors, trunklid, hood, … so those can get some color along with all the closing edges.

5 Likes

I admire your drive to rebuild this car. respect to you bro!

1 Like

Thx man, has been a struggle at times but I needed this to keep my sanity after all the brain tumor stuff. Just go to the warehouse and mess around with the civic, clear my head. But now it’s time I finish this thing up. Still have 2 EG hatches that need work too and the daily needs some love also so if I finish this I have one less thing that demands attention and I can just enjoy driving it.

5 Likes