Hot Wheels Civic Project

They look solid and high quality same if not more than the retail ones. :+1:

Ya, the APC thing is really interesting. Makes me wonder what other body kit or hood, they ever made for hondas.

Right about Feb of 2019 my Grandmother’s health began to decline and I began planning a trip back up to Texas to see her one last time. Well, my junky little coupe decided it had other plans and it bore out the center of the crank pulley. I was almost at work luckily, when it really started to go. But it made the trip impossible as I was only supposed to put a half day in at work that day and head out. Turns out I had to wait until the end of the day before my wife could bring me another pulley and key. In a way, I was lucky, but on the other hand i never got to say good-bye to my Grandmother.

Shortly before that debacle I got bored with my factory gauge cluster and decided to rice it up a bit.

This was done in a three-stage set up. A bright sliver went down first, then the translucent blue, then a clear to really give it some depth. I was satisfied with the results!

4 Likes

I drove the sedan one day and discovered that my wife, in the brief commuting she did, had run over something with the Harts on and they were now bent enough to result in a bit of a uncomfortable ride. So off those came and returned to the coupe with the TR’s going over to the sedan. Albeit that did not last long either as I was driving to and from Clearwater on the daily for work. So I picked up some mildly abused XXR’s and threw those on.

I changed companies again, because, let’s face it, when you walk into a new job and they start bouncing payroll checks two weeks after you’ve been there, you tend to find more stable employment. So now I was making a commute up by USF campus. In that time I purchased a NRG steering wheel, because, for some reason my OE wheel was starting to stink. Like, literally! I would drive the car, get and my hands would reel! So the only solution I saw was to replace it. I noticed on one of my drives that the steering wheel I had chosen almost matched the cluster I had painted. It looked like a good match and was not even intentional! Lol!

4 Likes

Backing into my spot at home, sometime in Aug., little did I know, but my intake had been rubbing against my low pressure line to my A/C. It was wierd because it sounded like some air brakes releasing in the distance. The next day I found out the truth to the matter when I looked under the hood thinking I had blown a simple fuse.

A couple days after that shifter #2 broke!

Luckily, not too long after that a buddy of mine had stainless B&M unit lying around and I scooped that up!

4 Likes

As you know, making this car into the Hot Wheels Civic commits me to getting a body kit. Call me overly cautious but I did not like the idea of changing boundaries on my car only to curb check and ruin the hard work that would go into said body kit. So I opted to find something cheap that someone might have had lying around. Luck be with me when I found a guy just the next town over, selling a R34 body kit front bumper for dirt cheap. It was a never installed V-Fiber unit and aside from the fiberglass showing its age with little hairline cracks all over, it was in great shape. It even had all the webbing intact! So I carried that home and proceeded to install it that weekend.

First I had to fit it to the car…

I had to do some clearancing around the head lights and got a little carried away under the driver’s side. But that’s what this was for. To live and learn!

Once all the fitting was done…

…it was time to put some putty in those crack to try and smooth everything back out.

Sanding… lots and LOTS of sanding!!!
A little primer sealer…

And a base coat…

I was going to do a clear but the funds dried up when the base took a lot more cans to cover than anticipated. Meh, this was all for experimental purposes anyways!

4 Likes

Just a little update. This thread will no longer be updated. Sorry guys. I had gotten to the point where this car was too much of a burden on me. Looking at it just brought me down. I had a long talk with my son and we came to the agreement that parting ways with the project was the best thing to do. I have since sold the car and bought a 2017 Civic Si Coupe. I don’t mean to let anyone down with this, but sometimes you just have to move to the next chapter. I dunno if I should start a build thread with the Si as it won’t have a ton of stuff done to it. Here’s a teaser pic of the Si, just in case you were curious.

2 Likes

Sometimes life plans > our Hobbies!

Love the new Civic. Keep us updated on the progress, love to see the plans unfold on the new chassis