MySpaceTOM's Progress thread for ITR #98-0833

I wanted to move this thread to NWP for your viewing pleasure. I owned this car back in 2016 and recently purchased it again in January 2023 from the guy I had sold it to. I’ll continue to move the content over and update it when possible. Enjoy!

*** Original Post date December 22, 2016 ***

New owner of #98-0833 :wave:

I’m a long-time member of this forum and have always dreamed of owning an ITR. A couple of months ago, that dream came true. Bought this car from a good friend who bought it from a guy who bought it from the original owner to flip. I am the 3rd titled owner to clarify.

The car has 260k on it. It’s exactly what I had always searched for. It is a nice enough starting point to build on but not a low-mileage gem that I would feel bad about taking to the track.

Here is how it sat not running when I picked it up. My good friend Matt and I had helped Ryan get the swap in and set everything up for emissions. After quite a few long nights the project never was finished and Ryan sold me the car at the point we had left it.

Loaded up on the trailer and time to get it home and iron out the details.

Got the car up and running after a few parts and diagnosing work done with Matt at my place.

That being said, I took it to Barber last Sunday for an HPDE. It was too cold and too rainy, but I took it out for three sessions. Barber is an amazing track, and I cannot wait to get the car back there in 2017 while dry.

Current plans for this car are to work on returning it to stock. This winter will see a teardown, bodywork, and fresh paint, along with some new molding, trim pieces, and a bushing kit

3 Likes

*** January 15, 2017 Update ***

Today was the rescheduled Caffeine & Octane here in Atlanta. I took the caR out for some fun in the sun and met up with my friend Scott. He snagged a few pictures for me to share here.

This week, I will start tearing down the car for bodywork and paint. So enjoy these pictures for now…

DSCF3852 by Scott Bittle, on Flickr

DSCF3857 by Scott Bittle, on Flickr

DSCF3853 by Scott Bittle, on Flickr

DSCF3859 by Scott Bittle, on Flickr

2 Likes

I have a background in automotive refinishing and decided to dive in, teardown, and paint this car in my apartment garage. I wish I had access to a booth or the money to pay someone to do this but that was not in the cards. I was making due with what I had.

Looking back at this picture, I was lucky to buy these items new from the dealer.

Here are some of the last photos taken before selling the car. I never completed the paint job, leaving the front lip, spoiler, and wheels unpainted.

The car was sold later in 2017 to a friend in South Carolina.

2 Likes

*** January 3, 2023 UPDATE ***

I’m picking this car back up from the current owner on January 15th! Super excited. Already got my first upgrade in the mail for it today. Ohlins DFV’s.

​​​​​​​Don’t mind the 2000 ITR in the background. I’m selling that car to recoup funds spent buying back my 98 ITR.

1 Like

*** January 19, 2023 UPDATE ***

It’s been a long week! I flew out Sunday to pick up the car. It was my first time seeing the car in over 6 years. I have to say, I was a bit disappointed. I know the car wasn’t perfect when I sold it, but dang, it’s been rough six years. I realized I had a lot of work ahead of me.

After driving home for 6 hours, I found out the car did not like to start. It’s random, kind of like the starter going out. Also, the power steering pump was puking fluid everywhere. The driver-side engine mount all but came unbolted. Someone was looking out for me on the way home. Not sure how that happened.

My impression of the car was it seemed to have sat for many years. The plate was last tagged in 2019. The car was filthy. I didn’t even get a pre-purchase car wash, which was much needed.

I got it home and got to work this week.

First up was a much-needed car wash. Just washing the car made a vast improvement and got me feeling good about the work ahead of me.

The first pic picking it up.

The next day getting ready for the first wash.

2 Likes

@MySpaceTOM Welcome back again to the forum! I’m happy you have been reunited with heR. :grinning:

Thanks for making these posts so they can be archived on NWP4Life. :+1:t3: :+1:t3:

It ain’t like old forum days but this is the closest it’s gonna get. :sweat_smile:

Looking foRward to seeing moRe adventuRe updates with this beauty! :pray:t3: :pray:t3: :pray:t3: :grin:

1 Like

Always happy to see this guy doing car stuff, never takes short cuts and is a good dude!! I wish the forums would explode again!!

2 Likes

Thank you! :smiley: Just trying to do my part. I’ve enjoyed all the inspiration from these forums over the years, and hopefully I can motivate some people to share here as well.

2 Likes
  • Update from January 19, 2023 -

First up, fix the leaking power steering pump. The previous owner gave me 3 other PS pumps, all of which were not the right ones. I decided to order the parts needed to do a rebuild of the OEM unit instead of replacing it with a reman unit. It worked perfectly, and the pump is as good as new.

Pic after full rebuild.

Next up, install the OEM CD player. This came with the black ITR I bought and decided to keep it for myself to install in the white car. I had to go buy a CD at the store. I realized I no longer own any CD’s.

Next up, new coilovers. Went with Ohlins DFV. I was able to source a new set from Japan. I am super impressed with the quality of these. The street ride is great as well. Excited to get them on the track. I’m sure they will perform well without being too hardcore.

Spent quite a while dialing in the height. Not sure if I’m 100% on it yet. Might bring down the rear a bit.

Sunday, I am painting the spoiler, front lip, and driver mirror that I am replacing due to a crack in the original one. I’m hoping to paint the wheels soon also.

I plan to order new center caps eventually. For the time being, I’m just going to paint the wheels and center caps and slap the Acura sticker on there.

4 Likes

@toreycarter Yeah along with the way the car is being maintained, the parts selection is also always proper and those new ohlins look great!

Looks better than the $100k R’s we see. :grin: Can’t wait to see it with the new paint and height dialed in!

2 Likes

haha thanks! I love the Ohlins. Very happy with them and how they perform on the track in nice also.

1 Like

Update January 30th 2023

I took some time to pull the window tint off the car. The dark window look isn’t for me on a '90s Honda. I plan to have 90% 3M Crystalline installed all around before summer. That will help reduce some heat and still protect the interior.

3 Likes

Update January 31 2023

Today, I took the time to install some fresh window sill trim pieces. Not sure of the actual name off the top of my head, but here is a pick.

Also, here is the steering wheel I installed. I replaced the worn-out wheel I had in there with the same one but fresh and a circuit hero horn button I had purchased a while ago.

3 Likes

Update February 2 2023

This car has had a push-button start that has always driven me crazy. It was at least a nice install with proper pieces to go into the cruise control delete spot. I was never a fan and had been looking for the OEM cruise delete piece since I had the car years ago. Finally, I came across someone selling one and snagged it up. Installed this tonight. I also picked up a dash clock to replace the block-off plate.

oh, spent some time with the carpet cleaner trying to clean up the floor mats. I have two sets, and I think they will clean up pretty decent.

2 Likes

Updated February 6, 2023

This weekend, I decided to paint some additional parts of the car. The front bumper didn’t match. I’m not sure why, and I cannot recall back when I painted the car. Went over the front lip, bumper, hood, and roof. The color match is very good, and the clear laid down smooth.

3 Likes

Update August 9, 2023*

I’ve been busy the past few months sourcing parts, wrenching, and enjoying this car. I did my first track day with the car, took it up to the Dragon for an event, and enjoyed the car. I wanted to update some photos.

I have these parts that I pulled off the car. Good condition but not my first choice. I’ve tossed them on the shelf. Is anyone interested in these? I’m not even sure what they are worth.

I picked up a new VC and spark plug cover from ICB.

Next up was to address the header. It is a Maxim Works header that has seen its better days. I used a few things to try and bring it back with no luck. I ended up sanding and polishing. It turned out great.

The main issue is the tarnishing you’ll see after polishing. Not the discoloration from heat. It seems like something on the metal baked on after heat cycles. Can’t seem to figure that out. I cleaned the header really well with alcohol after.

I want to pull it back out and polish it again. Any tips on how to prevent this corrosion-looking stuff?

Here is the before. I debated just buying a new header…

Here is the after! Few hours of hard work paid off.

Here is the header and VC installed.

If you look at this photo, you can see the corrosion stuff on the header. This showed up after a couple of heat cycles. Not sure what it could be?

I’ll come back and update more here soon.

2 Likes

After swapping in the B18C, we performed routine maintenance tasks like changing the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump. Despite the low mileage, the timing belt had been in use for more than seven years, so I deemed it necessary to replace it along with the tensioner for added confidence at the track. Additionally, I purchased a new air conditioning vent to replace the old and worn-out one.

3 Likes

Update September 6th 2023

I’ve been back and forth on exhaust systems. The car has a T1r b pipe and OEM ITR muffler. I also run a Fujitsubo RM-01A axle back. The Fujitsubo is very loud on the highway with the 4.7 final drive. Here in GA, highway speeds are 75+ with 80-ish cruising speed. I was able to source a Spoon Street axle back. I like the look of the exhaust a lot. Despite never hearing one in person, I jumped on this setup and am thankful I did. It seems like it lands perfectly between the OEM muffler and the Fujitsubo. No drone, but it still has some noise to enjoy.

I’ve also been researching some info on the EVAP. When we first did the B18C swap, all USDM parts were used as needed to pass emissions. Now the car is 25 years old, I no longer need to do emissions and want to run the JDM ECU full-time. The previous owner lost or sold the USDM ECU. My only choice is JDM now, which is fine. That is preferred. The issue is that the evap solenoid no longer gets its signal from the JDM ecu to purge the fumes into the intake. These hot days, the car has gotten smelly. I’ve been looking into the options I have.

4 Likes