'99 Acura CL restore

I had our tint guy tint the windows while the glass was out. Had to do a little repair on the center post of the spoiler where the wires for the 3rd brake light come through to the trunk. It broke when I removed it, leaving a bigger hole than was there before. I found a new in box spoiler and almost ordered it, but was able to repair this one better than I expected.

I was still waiting for some new clips to show up to snap the windshield moldings back on, but it was finally ready to begin its driving duties!

Although I was now driving the car every day, I wasn’t quite done. Pulled both cars out to wash them and the ride height was ridiculously embarrassing.

The rear struts were blown any way, so what better excuse to add some coilovers. I knew I wanted adjustable stiffness, so I thought I’d try out some D2’s. Also picked up some SPC adjustable front upper ball joints. Just needed some spare weekend time to throw them on now.

4 Likes

In the mean time, while I was waiting for a free Saturday with nice weather, I picked up an OEM sunroof visor. It had some wear, so I wet sanded and polished it. Greased up the rubber seal as well.

The OEM wheels had new tires on them, but the wheels themselves were caked with brake dust and peeling. A few evenings of sanding and painting brought them back to life. I would’ve liked to have had the brushed finish on the faces of the spokes like they were from the factory, but after trying my hand at it could not get an even look to it. So, they were just completely sprayed with Mercedes Iridium Silver.

3 Likes

FINALLY. Coilovers installed and set where I wanted them. First thing I did was take it for its first wash and a drive. It’s a new car!

I’m not a big fan of “stance”, but I wanted these wheels and tires to be a little more flush. So, shortly after, I added some 5mm spacers in the front ant 8mm in the rear. I also dropped the rear of the car just a little more and installed the sunroof visor. Around this time I also picked up some OEM fog lamps that I cleaned up but have yet to install.

I’m in the process of trying to figure out the factory wiring for the fog lamps. I’ve created a harness, just need to figure out why I’m not getting power from the switch to the factory connector in the engine bay. I will post up again once I have them installed. Until then I’ll continue to rack up the miles on her!

5 Likes

Looking great man, wheels suit the car great.

1 Like

such a superb looking “classic”.

1 Like

Beautiful work thus far. I always loved that red in the CL (I believe it was 97 only).

As a 5th Gen Accord guy (I have both a wagon and coupe), I love the fact the CL is around. While I’m not the biggest fan of the exterior, I love the interior and other random bits I can swap into my coupe. I’ve currently got the side mirrors installed, along with a full CL lower interior (everything below the dash + carpet, rear seat, etc). Honda still sells most of the Type B gray parts new, so I went that route, as I much prefer the dark CL gray interior over the 2-tone Accord gray.

Can’t wait to see what you got next. That Alpine unit having the green lighting is awesome, and one of the main reasons I’ve kept my stock unit all these years…I love the green/aqua lighting, and finding an aftermarket unit that I like has been a challenge.

3 Likes