BB6 Cross Country Acquisition - Build Journal

So what started as small talk in December 2018 via instagram about the cars setup, turned into January of 2020 putting a deposit down on the exact same car and starting the plan of a cross country road trip to obtain said car.

2001 Honda Prelude Base with Manual Transmission (H23 Swapped with LSD Trans, Tein coilovers, and Hondata)

It’s not some uber-elite car but to me is a bucket list item.

Car was fully addressed and made road/track worthy over ownership. Multiple modifications to make “ultimate driving machine”.

Buyer actually delivered car to my cousins house in Vista since he was in the process of moving 3 states away.

Flew out on February 11th from Houston IAH to San Diego.

Sue me I’m not photogenic

Arrived in San Diego around 8PM and we got an Uber to my cousins house to sleep (bodies where still on Texas time).

Woke up February 12th and road tested car around neighborhood and drove fantastically! Spent the rest of the day doing tourist things and spending time with family.

Oceanside Pier

Good relaxing day and enjoyed the getaways from life GREATLY!

Awoke February 13th and began RoadTrip home

15 minutes later (or 6 miles as I like to recall)EPIC FAILURE! On a slight right curve in the road passenger side wheel fell off from result of a failed passenger lower ball joint, which in turn caused axle to snap.

GREAT, AWESOME - Living La Vida Loca

My wife doesn’t kill me, and actually the vehicle behind us pulled over to assist. They ended up having TripleA and footed the tow bill after seeing how bummed I was in our current event.

Got vehicle towed to the closest reputable shop I found (in my least bit of sanity). This shop was Hal’s Auto Repair in Oceanside.

Before arriving I had already called and informed of failures and what parts where going to be needed. Upon inspection at Hal’s I made the decision to go ahead and replace both lower ball joints, both axles, and both transmission seals. ALSO found passenger tire to be excessively chewed from impact to fender. They got vehicle around 11:00-11:20 and had it completed and road worthy by 4:00 same day. (three thumbs up).

Spent the night at my cousins AGAIN just to regain composure and rest my brain. At this rate if the car breaks every 6 miles it’ll be brand new by the time we complete the 1,600+ mile drive home.

February 14th (Happy Valentines to my wife)
We make the drive from Vista, CA to Chandler, AZ.

Over time on the internet I had made a good friend in the area and had planned on actual meeting up and grabbing dinner. The drive was flawless and no more hiccups on this day.

BUT FIRST a stop by to say hello to @icbmatt . Made parts list for my brother in law for his DB Integra ITR swap so scrolled through and placed my order in person with Mr ICB

Some of the pickups

Departed from here with the goods and headed to dinner with David at Potbelly’s (once again wife didn’t complain about three-wheeling haha). Was good times at catching up followed by some great coffee/custard spot David talked about (three thumbs up). That was the end of the evening and we departed back to hotel for some sleep.

February 15th
Woke up after good rest and got some generic hotel “continental breakfast” for the AM. Ran by the mall to get the niece/nephews some gifts

Started our trip towards Tonto National Forest and my failed attempts to learn to start vehicle due to the Hondata Theft feature engaged (hahha should have seen my Hulk rage)

Arizona/New Mexico border

Made it safely and checked into our hotel from the days journey. ONLY AFTER figuring out back in the early 1900’s it was a Psych Ward (wife still not made at me)

February 16th on the road to Texas

Had to stop at Santa Rosa RT66 Museum

Got serious about getting home so drove further than expected but got hungry and did more RT66 photo-op’s

Got some LATE lunch at a Mexican spot in Amarillo

Finished the drive to Wichita Falls to our last hotel for the trip.

February 17th the departure back “home”
Since the incident from day one the hood and passenger fender where damaged from impact. So found JDM fenders and hood in Houston.

Drove back home to Beaumont and made arrangements to get Uhaul on February 18th and make a parts run to Houston for my front end parts and brother in law to snag an ITR front end.

Completed Parts Haul

So I got matching fenders, replacement hood, and second hand 17” BBS RX’s

So that was probably the most entertaining 5 days of my life and definitely a great step to test any marriage!

6 Likes

After ownership was hard to find flaws, but excuses to upgrade will always outweigh logic

Removed front seats to clean interior, installed steering hub w/ Nardi, DC2R shift boot, and HybridRacing shift knob.

After driving decided cheap would be more effective. Replaced both front and rear swaybar bushings with Energy Suspension and HardRace swaybar endlinks.

Continued driving and found rear may need to be tightened, installed UltraRacing Rear Underbrace.

Got some extraextra money and ordered and installed Innovative Driver engine and Passenger Transmission mount, along with SpeedFactory Detent springs

Ugly factory mount

Did some research for some figuring on installing C-Pillar brace, found an option from EM Racing, trimmed rear panel to fit (not the best but oh well)

From there I rerouted the catch can and deleted emissions to clean up engine bay and is where i got strike 2.

I misrouted the catch can and caused excessive pressure causing front crank seal to push out, but was dumb and blamed the engine. So left catch can alone, drove 3 miles and oil leak returned. Parked car sold some parts off of it and realized how much of an idiot I was.

So now I’m saving money to repurchase some needed items and getting back to road worthy.

Current engine bay picture (also installed CircuitHero plug cover, Koyo Radiator w/ Factory hoses, FFC Radiator mounts, Mugen Radiator cap, TracTuff Oil Cap, and Comptech battery hold down)

Made the decision to STOP GIVING UP on projects and making this my life long project.

May be quite a bit before the next update, but will keep the story going eventually.

4 Likes

STOP GIVING UP. I like that. I’m in for this journey :+1:. Great start

1 Like

Indeed, never give up. I have an EG hatch that’s been a project for about 11 years now, it has never seen the road. Life happened and other projects that came along too but I’m not getting rid of it. After I finish my current build, I’m focussing back on that car. It needs to be finished :smiley:

Best of luck with the prelude man

2 Likes

time to add NOS! :rofl:

whats goood homie!

1 Like

Not much dude, just doing what I can :+1:t2:

You probably sitting on a goldmine at your place by now haha

Not much on updates, but did install OE factory radio delete panel. Have sold some odd and end parts from the car that will no longer be used. Decluttered interior and getting ready to pull engine to reseal and get back to road worthy status :smiley:

1 Like

taking inventory of all my OE parts to make sure I’m ready for engine re-seal and revamp of car

6 Likes

Nice. I love getting OEM goodies!

1 Like

Snagged an OE Replacement Gates t-belt on eBay.

Also upon switching careers a few months ago I had misplaced my new radiator mounts from BBalliance that are cut to fit aftermarket units. Called the old job and they where sitting next to my workstation drawer. Saved me from re-spending $100 (cool guy)

Found an online retailer of a Plug and Play Bluetooth Module. I have the OEM radio delete plate , so this will tuck behind the dash and let me Bluetooth via my phone to the factory harness and have music playing to the front 2 speakers. Mainly looking for less attention in the interior.

Another score is a factory RSX/EP3 Steering Wheel with attached airbag/cruise setup and redone perforated leather. The “racing wheel” look is cool, but I want something more factory appealing with a sporty touch.

Will make sure I get pictures posted and thread updated when these latest pieces arrive.

2 Likes

New update :slight_smile:

Ordered KSTuned Manual Tensioner to eliminate problematic Auto Tensioner failure, new Downstar bolts w/black washers for Radiator Brackets, SpeedFactory Cam Seal Cap, and New Water Pump

As of know End of January will be start of complete refresh

3 Likes

My Prelude has come a long way from where it first started, it’s been a fun journey so far. I have some extra interior parts hanging around lmk if you need any

3 Likes

got the steering wheel in, along with my Maven shift knob

3 Likes

Upon delivery date to brother in law’s house we are trying to get finalized plan of attack.

Uploaded picture of refinished Valve Cover

Ordered following items :

Drive belt for A/C Delete (for others to refer to 36" belt with 6 Ribs = 360K6)
BBAlliance P/S Delete Plate
OEM Honda Slave Cylinder
OEM 2.5" Exhaust Donut Gasket
OEM Clutch Release Spring
OEM Timing Adjuster Bushing
OEM Exhaust Manifold Gasket
SppedFactory Valve Cover Hardware
SpeedFactory Drain Plug Set
Moroso Thru-Panel Battery
Bussman Waterproof Circuit Breaker
Downstar Hardware w/ Beauty Washers @downstar
“Like New” Black Injen Intake System
C’s Customizing Orange Reservoir Sock Set

2 Likes

That orange looks good! Very nice

2 Likes

Here is a link to some driving vlog’s during our trip from getting the car last February

3 Likes

First things First :
This has turned into quite the REFRESH. What started as just needing to purchase 10 or 12 parts has turned into a literal notepad list in my phone and also in my personal journal with individual item list for an all out ReDo! Shout out to my brother in law and his push to getting me motivated/making moves. I know my bay is going to look AMAZING and have never cared about appearance/aesthetic of my own vehicles.

I think deep down inside we all have a love for all things classic hotrod (minus chrome), but for me I am so biased to the Honda lineage that I don’t want to step out of my comfort area , but bring that styling to my own car.

vvvv Actual Updates vvvv
One of my favorite YouTube channels LHT Performance started releasing their parts on their eStore last week. So snagged their Battery TieDown and VTEC Solenoid.

They are primarily an S2000/Corvette shop, so not much available for my chassis from them, but will do what I can.

Link for others to acquire : https://www.lhtperformance.com/shop

The “like new” Injen Intake arrived via UPS yesterday. I paid $115 for this piece and it looks like it was test fitted on car and driven “maybe” 100 miles. Previous owner was just looking to revert back to stock. SCORE

Found a crazy good deal on a 25 foot roll of 1/0 AWG Wire for battery relocate on Amazon, wife purchased just because she is cool with this.

Link for others to acquire : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CSYF06Y/ref=twister_B01LXU7QOM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

Placed ordered for the following :

ChaseBays Coolant Reservoir
ChaseBays OEM x -6an Fuel Fitting
Skunk2 Intake Manifold
Skunk2 Throttle Body
SpeedFactory Thermal Intake Manifold Gasket

This time next week we will be DEEP into the refresh. :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

Started disassembly on the front end in preparation for Friday’s start of the refresh.

Goal is within 3-4 weeks have car back on the road and driving it home. Bringing car to my Brother in Laws where the work will take place.

5 Likes

Got A/C system drained, Condenser with High and Low side lines all the way back to firewall fittings removed.

Starting to look “empty”

2 Likes